- From Ha Noi, we recommend the Hung Thanh Bus Company and we’d suggest purchasing your ticket at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels (also known as Hanoi Backpackers Hostel), which is easy to find at 9 Ma May or 48 Ngo Huyen in the old quarter, where all the team speaks English. You will need to be at Hanoi Backpackers at 6:00 PM where you will meet the bus and travel a short distance further to the office of the bus company to pick up other guests, before the 7:00 PM departure from Ha Noi to Quang Binh (Phong Nha or Dong Hoi). You can also call Hung Thanh Bus or book at Hung Thanh Bus office at 162B Tran Quang Khai Str., Tel: 04.39274284 – 04.39274285. Please be advised that it is very difficult to purchase this bus ticket prior to your arrival in Hanoi; the bus tickets are much easier to purchase on arrival in Ha Noi or via a phone call.
- The sleeper bus is comfortable, air-conditioned and occasionally has wi-fi if you are lucky. There is a small toilet at the back of the bus and you’ll also make a stop along the way near Ninh Binh, where there are (basic) toilet facilities.
- It costs approximately VND 250,000 from Ha Noi to Phong Nha (the price might increase dramatically during Tet holiday, International Labor Day and Vietnamese National Day).
Phong Nha: The bus stops at the Thanh Phat Hotel (located in the opposite side of the Easy Tiger Hostel) between 4 – 5 AM in the morning.
Dong Hoi: The bus stops at 165 Ly Thuong Kiet Street between 4- 5 AM in the morning.
- The Hung Thanh Bus Company also provides a Phong Nha/Dong Hoi – Ha Noi route, departing at the same place. You can buy tickets at Thanh Phat Hotel or at 165 Ly Thuong Kiet Street, Dong Hoi city (052)3851 995 / (052)3851 996
- Find more here: www.hungthanhtravel.vn
- Trains are an enjoyable way to travel and see a bit of the countryside. They are especially comfortable if you purchase a ticket in a soft-sleeper cabin. There are only 4 beds in the cabin so there is enough room to sit up if you prefer or to lay down. A hard-sleeper cabin does not provide enough room to sit up because there are 6 beds per room versus 4. Overnight trains are also a good choice because then you can do your travel without missing anything during the day (and you’ve got somewhere to sleep for the night)!
- We recommend the following overnight trains from Hanoi to Dong Hoi:
- You can find the full list of available trains here: Hanoi to Dong Hoi Train Schedule.
- Of course, the easiest mode of transport is to take a flight here from Hanoi, it being just a 1 hour and 25 mins flight. However, you have to factor in the time travelling to the airport (1 hour from old quarter). It is best to check the Vietnam Airlines website ahead of time to ensure you can catch a flight on your desired travel dates, otherwise we recommend the train or bus.
- There is one flight daily from Hanoi to Dong Hoi. Flights are as follows:- 8:05 AM -> 9:30 AM: VN8591: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday
– 7:00 AM -> 8:00AM: VN1593: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
- There is one flight daily from Dong Hoi to Hanoi. Flights are as follow- 10:00 AM -> 11:20 AM: VN8590: Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday
– 8:50 AM -> 9:50AM: VN1592: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday